Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Time Flies

Amazing how time flies sometimes.  It seems like just last week I made the post about my oldest turning 20.  Lots of real life stuff going on.  I have this strange desire to learn to do things for myself again.  I am teaching my girls how to cook from scratch (cakes, cookies, breads), how to knit, and darn socks, as well as sew up tears in their clothes.  Next week we are going to practice making tortillas.  My boys are doing more cooking and cleaning and we will be working on finishing the basement when the weather starts to warm up.  It would be fast and easy to hire someone to do it, but I just have this strong feeling that we need to learn how to do some of this stuff for ourselves.  Maybe all the earthquakes lately have brought it out in me.  The survivalist mentality.  My ex was big into that for Y2K.  Thank goodness things were no where near as bad as he had envisioned.  But all the devastation and destruction in Haiti and Chile makes me think that I need to make sure we are prepared in case of an emergency.  I remember when Isabelle hit the DC area.  We were without electricity, clean water and telephone for over a week.  We managed to do ok, but it was the end of summer, so we didn't have to deal with cold weather or snow.  If a major disaster hit us here, in the dead of winter, how would we cope?  We don't have a back up heating plan (another reason to finish the basement), our gas is all controlled with electricity.  Im just thinking about all the things I, as a mother, need to know how to do, prepare to do, be ready to deal with, to allow our family to shelter in place if needed.  Perhaps the threat of 40 inches of snow on Sunday is freaking me out some.  I'm not sure. 

So this blog will probably begin to chronicle my journey to preparedness also. 

More to come later.  Soon.  I hope.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment